* I am honored to be an assistant teacher for Tim Miller's teacher training at Maya Tulum, Mexico February 1 - 8, 2014.
Maya TulumThe Course
This course is designed to give participants an in depth experience of the Primary series of Ashtanga Yoga as taught by K. Pattabhi Jois. There are two basic methods for transmitting this teaching. One is the "Mysore style" method in which students in the class work independently at their own level of proficiency with hands on assistance from one or more teachers. The second method of teaching involves guiding the students through the practice by counting the vinyasa in the traditional Sanskrit. In this course we will have an opportunity to experience these two types of teaching. Particular emphasis will be given to practical "hands on" experience. The course is appropriate for those who are interested in teaching, those who are currently teaching, as well as students of ashtanga yoga who would like to deepen their knowledge of their own practice.
Maya Tulum is a beautiful and peaceful beach resort on the Caribbean. (Fly into Cancun, a 1.5 hour taxi ride away.) You will stay in comfortable "palapas" and enjoy three vegetarian meals per day. The ocean and nearby "cenotes" are safe for swimming and snorkeling, and the archeological ruins of Tulum and Coba are nearby.
This one week intensive training will consist of three daily classes, including an early morning practice session. The prerequisite for the course is a basic knowledge of, and reasonable proficiency at, the primary series of Ashtanga Yoga.
Areas of Focus
- Teaching with Your Hands
We will learn how to see asanas diagnostically and make anatomically safe, accurate and effective adjustments.
- Teaching with Your Voice
We will focus on learning how to conduct a class with proper pacing, pronunciation, synchronization of breath and movement, and an economical way of verbally correcting poses based on what is observed.
We will also explore basic aspects of yoga philosophy, pranayama and mantra.
This schedule will be in effect Sunday through Friday. Please arrange to arrive any time on Saturday February 1st and depart on Saturday February 8th. There will be no classes scheduled on Saturdays.
|Morning practice||7:00 - 9:00|
|Breakfast||9:00 - 10:30|
|Training Session||10:30 - 1:30|
|Lunch and Free Time||1:30 - 5:00|
|Training Session||5:00 - 7:00|
|Dinner||7:30 - 9:00|
* Also, I will be an assistant teacher again this year at the Ashtanga Confluence in San Diego, California May 8 - 11, 2014.
For registration and more information:
* I am excited to be guest teaching for Sidney Huang who just moved his mysore program from the Yoga Garden to his brand new location in cow hollow called 'Zazen' February 10 through March 9.
* In addition, I am hosting a mysore intensive at Berkeley Yoga Center beginning June 1.
Here is some information about my San Francisco guest teaching at Zazen:
Schedule at Zazen
Moon days are holidays.
- 5:30am Doors open for self-practice.
- 6:30am Instruction begins. Opening mantra chanted for first batch of students
- 8:15am Opening mantra chanted for second batch of students
- 9:45am Instruction ends
- 10:00am Closing. Please be cleared out by this time.
- 7:30am Doors open for self-practice.
- 8:00am Instruction begins
- 8:30am Mantra chanted together
- 10:45am Instruction ends
- 11:00am Closing. Please be cleared out by this time.
Current Yoga Garden Mysore monthly students are invited to remain at their $165/month rate on a special grandfathered plan. The same rate will now include a membership to Zazen that gives a discount on other services there.
Leigha's students are invited to drop in for a single class or purchase a 5 or 10 class pass.
One month pass, autorenewing
One month pass
Six month pass
One week pass
5 class pass
10 class pass
In February, Ngoce and I are traveling to Portugal to study with some of our teachers from India. We are very excited to announce our lineup of senior guest teachers.
- Chad Herst will teach on Thursday, February 6 and Friday, February 7.
- Our own dear Russell Case will teach on Sunday, February 9.
- And Leigha Nicole will be holding class from Monday, February 10 through Friday, March 7.
We are especially pleased to be hosting Leigha for a whole month. She brings almost three decades of experience, and she is eager to collaborate with you on refining your practice to suit any therapeutic or meditative needs and interests.
Moon Days and Calendar 2014
We are providing an online calendar with a list of moon days, shala holidays, and special events. This will be updated whenever we announce changes or new events, and moon days (!) google calendar ical xml
We have created a Facebook group page for our community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/zazenmysore/